top of page


Find Answers to Frequent Questions from Campbell Tree Experts Inc.

As your trusted ISA-CERTIFIED ARBORIST, ISA-CERTIFIED TREE WORKERS AND TRAQ TREE ASSESSORS in Ottawa, Campbell Tree Experts Inc. is pleased to provide the guidance and information you need to make wise decisions. We encourage you to read answers to our frequently asked questions below. If you still have questions or need more information, please feel free to contact us.

  • What Should I Look for When Hiring an ISA Certified Arborist?
    There are many factors to consider. You should hire a company that is ISA certified with Fully-Insured and WSIB coverage. Review our tips for hiring an ISA Certified Arborist. We recommend that you avoid companies that advertise tree topping and the use of climbing spikes. Since spikes will damage trees, they should only be used for tree removals. Click here for more information about ISA.
  • Do I Really Need To Hire An ISA Certified Arborist?
    Tree trimming and removals can be extremely dangerous and should be left to professionals. The experienced team at Campbell Tree Experts Inc. can quickly and safely handle jobs of all sizes. We find the best possible solution through expert troubleshooting and diagnosis. Click here for more details on the ISA certification program.
  • My Tree Is Getting Too Tall, Can You Cut The Top Off?
    Homeowners sometimes feel that their trees are getting too tall. It is the most common question; since large trees can seem intimidating. If you top them, you're creating a problem that will be uncorrectable This is why it is so important when planting a tree to know what you bought. Ask how tall and wide will it get at maturity? Will it fit into my landscape and give me what outcome for planting a tree is in the first place?
  • My Neighbor's Tree(S) Are Overhanging My Property, Can I Cut Them Back to the Property Line?
    * There is no set By-Law that gives neighbor(s) permission to cut neighbor(s) tree(s) back to the property line. ** By removing part of your neighbor(s) tree(s) back to the property line makes a tree look ugly and takes the value of the tree away. This can off balance a tree and make the tree hazardous. It can stress the tree by removing a percentage of the leaf-bearing branches & improper cuts can force rapid growth of multiple shoots under each cut, and cause decay & rot. *** We at Campbell Tree Experts Inc. will not remove any branches from a neighbor(s) tree(s) without written consent for liability reasons. We can come up with a plan that will benefit both neighbor(s) concerns with the tree(s), but keep in mind our main concern is the tree(s) health and liability with the tree(s). We find the easiest solution to this problem is communication between neighbor(s).
  • Why Do I Need To Prune My Trees?
    Pruning is done for various reasons and can be a critical measure to enhance safety and promote healthy growth. The amount of live tissue you should remove depends on the tree’s size, species, age and your pruning objectives. Read more about tree pruning.
  • How Do I Know If I Have a Dangerous Tree?
    Dead or detached branches, rotten wood along the trunk and cracks or splits in the trunk are all signs of a potentially dangerous tree. We have compiled a complete list of questions for you to consider. If you answer ‘yes’ to one or more questions, Campbell Tree Experts Inc. will be happy to provide a professional evaluation.
  • How Can I Avoid Financial Loss If My Trees Are Damaged?
    Trees are a valuable investment and there are steps you can take to avoid financial loss in case of storm damage. We advise customers to take pictures when your trees are healthy and vigorous. That way, you will have good before-and-after comparisons for your insurance company. This can protect your investment and expedite the claims process. You should also check your policy and contact your insurer if you have questions. Insurance policies can vary greatly.
  • I Have a Large Tree in a Hard-to-reach Location. Can You Handle the Job?
    We are fully equipped to take on challenging pruning and tree removal jobs of all types and sizes. Our well-maintained fleet includes 86’ crane trucks and 65’ bucket trucks. The safety-focused professionals at Campbell Tree Experts Inc. have your solution.
  • My Tree Is Too Close to Hydro, What Do I Do?
    Regulations require arborists to stay a minimum of 10' from primary (top wires) and 4' from secondary (low wires). These are the main wires from pole to pole. If you need a tree trimmed or removed that is within the limits our arborists will advise you and make the initial call to Hydro for you and obtain a reference number for you to follow up. Keep in mind that your hydro line that comes from the pole to your house is owned by you and it is the homeowner’s responsibility. In this case we are able to work safely around these wires (pole to house). Ottawa Hydro: 613-738-6400 - option 4 – Hydro One: 1-800-434-1235 (for Emergencies) –
  • Do I Need to Be Home When Work Is Being Done on My Tree(s)?
    We at Campbell Tree Experts Inc. prefer the homeowner to be home the day of the work or at least at the start when the work crew arrives to go over the work order and if you have any questions or concerns. Payments are to be made upon completion of the work. We will email-text your final invoice, which upon opening can be paid by credit card. If clients don’t feel comfortable paying online, they can e-transfer to our email address or mail a cheque to our mailing address. Methods of payment are: credit card, e-transfer or cheque.
  • Do I Need to Pre-pay or Put a Deposit down Before Any Work Commences?
    We at Campbell Tree Experts Inc. do not require a deposit on contracts. Only full payments when the work has been completed to customer satisfaction. Methods of payments are: cheque, Visa or MasterCard. Well established service companies don't require a deposit or full payment until the work is complete. Consumers should be cautious when asked for payment before any work begins. Payments are to be made upon completion of your work. We will email-text your final invoice, which upon opening can be paid by credit card. If clients don’t feel comfortable paying online, they can e-transfer to our email address or mail a cheque to our mailing address.
  • Do I Need a Distinctive Tree Permit (DTP)?
    The City of Ottawa Urban Tree Conservation By-Law requires that property owners must obtain a Distinctive Tree Permit before removing trees greater than 30 cm (urban) and 50 cm (rural) in diameter. You must confirm ownership of the tree. The process requires an Arborist Report by a Certified Arborist. We, at Campbell Tree Experts Inc., will write up the arborist report and application free of charge if contracted to remove the tree. There is a $163 fee from the City of Ottawa for the processing of the application (there is no guarantee a DTP will be granted). We do have a fee if we submit the application and report at a City of Ottawa Client Service Centre with consent from the homeowner. You can submit the application and report yourself. For more information, consult the City of Ottawa’s guidelines.
  • Attention Developers!
    There are now new guidelines to protect trees on lots undergoing infill development. Developers must include a Specific Tree Disclosure Information along with Building Permit Applications. For more information, consult the City of Ottawa’s guidelines.
bottom of page